Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year

It's the last day of 2009. It has been a crazy year for me. The beginning of the year was spent being nomadic. Traveling to amazing places. Then towards the middle of the year I was dumped at my dad's and began making my life over again. I got to know my dad and step mom so well in those few months. Then I met the man of my dreams. He didn't start off that way. My heart was to broken to really see clearly. But as time moved on he showed me how truly amazing he was. This is the man that will be my husband. The man I hope to father children with and spend the rest of my life with. So I start 2010 planning my wedding and my future.

Yesterday I was feeling good enough to clean the house and get laundry done. Weekly we have about 3-4 loads of laundry to do. As I was folding towels I realized how fulfilling I find house work to be. Its interesting how deep that feeling goes. I realize that most of the things I do are never seen or appreciated in the direct sense. Still it creates this deep sense of contentment to know that the house is in perfect working order. I don't find house work to be drudgery. I have been called Betty Crocker and June Cleaver. People have tried using these terms as derogatory towards me. Since when did wanting to be a woman who takes care of her family and her home become a bad thing. I love cooking great meals, I love making cookies and cakes. I find great satisfaction in making my home beautiful and hospitable. Those woman of the past should be honored. They lived for hearth and home. They couldn't wait to find a man to love, who would provide a good home and babies. These women are our past. They are our grand mothers and great grand mothers. They may be your mother. I don't have a problem with the women who chose careers and wanted it all. I also know that a woman who chooses to take care of home and family should never be regarded as anything less. I truly feel happy knowing that when Justin comes home from work he comes back to a waiting home. A place that he feels welcome, loved, and comfortable. There is something to be said about creating Home. Not just a house, a place to live, a place where all your stuff is at but home. The place, the idea, the feeling, all the things that when you walk in you know you belong.

My next baking project is biscotti. I am really looking forward to making some. It sounds easy enough just figuring out what kind I want. If I want more than one flavor. How to wrap it up and who to give it to. I am short on friends up here so people to hang out with and enjoy baked goods with is a little slim. The other big project coming up is an engagement party. I am going to throw an engagement party for friends to come and celebrate Justin's and I's upcoming nuptials. I am so excited about it. There is so much planning to do. I have the basic wedding plans down but no details. More on that upcoming later.

No comments:

Post a Comment