Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Weekly Cleaning and Christmas Dinner

Yesterday was a busy day. I usually reserve Monday for house cleaning but I was busying helping move airplanes so house work got pushed back to yesterday. My house cleaning schedule is pretty straightforward. I start with collecting laundry from all the baskets and surrounding areas. I like to get it all separated out Usually 3 piles. Whites – 1 cup of bleach and hot water. Light colors - ½ cup bleach and warm water. Darks – no bleach cold water. Then I like to wash them in the order of darks, lights, then whites. This way the darks don't come into contact with any bleach. I the next step in house cleaning is pulling out the two vacuums. One is for carpets the other for the bare floors. The bedrooms and bathrooms have carpet. I pick up all the trash cans and anything else on the floors. Vacuum the carpets, make a note of anything that needs to be dusted. Then I move on the bare floors. We have wood floors and tile so I have a floor vac. I don't like pet hair or dirt floating around so everything gets vacuumed instead of swept. I mop about once or twice a month depending on if the floors are really bad or not. Washing sheets and mopping usually go together. Once everything is vacuumed I go ahead and start dusting everything off. I like the Swiffer dusters. They work well and are easy to use. An added bonus for me is the extended reach. I dust off the light fixtures and photo frames down to the floor. I also make sure to clean off the cleaning fan blades. These usually get so neglected. By now most of the house feels clean. I always have the daily things like cleaning the kitchen and putting things back in their places but the deeper cleaning stuff is really only once a week. This keeps the house clean and doesn't have me over worked in daily house work.


Christmas is all planned out. I have found all the chairs and tables that I need. I still need to do some shopping and have a busy week next week with projects to finish up the house. Food is all planned out and timed out so I know when everything needs to go in the oven so it will all be done and ready for lunch. It takes a lot of practice to get things perfect when it comes to big meals with lots of different food. I am so excited for this Christmas. Here is the plan for food. All ovens are on 350


Turkey 13lbs -start thawing on the 22nd
                    Start brine early on the 24th (a true brine would start on the 23rd)
                    Put in oven 9:25 on the 25th
Ham             Start thawing on the 24th
                    Put in oven 10:30 on the 25th
Green Bean  Start @ 10:45
                    Put in oven 11:00
Cream Corn Start @ 10:45
                    Put in oven 11:00
Potatoes      Start peeling @ 10:30
Gravy          Start @ 11:15 (I make gravy from scratch and will pull turkey drippings and chicken broth)
Deviled eggs Make on 24th
Pumpkin Pies Make on 24th


Stuffing, Jello, and Baked Mac & Cheese provided by other family members.


Projects that have to be done before the 24th.
Grout the kitchen floor
Fix the downstairs shower


I am afraid that the shower is really going to be a problem to fix. It was put in using some funky parts and hopefully I can figure something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment